Monday, November 26, 2012
Easy Creamy Potato Soup
The days are getting shorter. Try as you may, you just can't get home before the sun tucks itself in for the night. These are the days when you just want something hot and soothing -- and you want it now. This recipe comes together in a snap, so you can cozy up to a steaming bowl of soup in no time. Or toss the ingredients in a slow cooker and be met with an aromatic hug welcoming you home.
1 Tbsp. canola oil
4 cups chopped, unpeeled russet potatoes
1 cup chopped scallions, white and green parts (or you can use a yellow onion)
1 cup water
3 cups plain dairy-free milk (almond or soy work well)
1 1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. black pepper (or to taste)
1 tsp. crushed dried basil
1 Tbsp fresh parsley, or you can use 1 tsp. dried parsley
1. Heat the oil in a medium-sized pot.
2. Add the potatoes and sauté over medium heat, stirring often, for 15 minutes or until they start to brown.
3. Add onions and sauté 10 minutes longer.
4. Add the water, soymilk, and spices.
5. Simmer uncovered, stirring often, until potatoes are soft and start to fall apart.